PRO BONO QUILTS
The Huntington Quilters Guild donates Pro Bono quilts for the less fortunate in the community, including people that are sick, poor and needy and veterans. Pro bono quilts are donated several times a year to the following facilities: Huntington Hospital’s Pediatric Ward and Adult Oncology Unit, The Dolan Family Service League of Huntington, the Life Center of Deer Park, the Hospice in Northport and Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in Commack.
We as members of the Guild are proud to say that every year we donate over 100 quilts to these organizations. We have received many glowing responses to our donations, for example:
Joyce at Huntington Hospital wrote “ The patients absolutely love them. It makes smiles when we deliver them.”
Kathy at The Dolan Center wrote “Many Moms have stated that the quilt is the most beautiful gift they have ever received.”
Below are some wonderful examples of quilts donated that make both the guild and the recipient proud.
The quilts we donate can be used for covering up babies and laps. There is no exact size. Making it 36’ wide will allow you to use a one piece backing, as fabric is usually 44” wide. The quilts should start at approximately 32” x 40”, as this should fit a baby crib nice and snug.
The sizes can go up from there. A “Drag-around” quilt for a small child can be as small as one yard square, or 36” x 36”. (You can make a super-quick whole-cloth quilt by cutting a 36” square of cute children’s fabric, adding backing and quilting it).
Making the Quilt:
- You can use your own materials (fabric, batting, etc.) and complete the quilt, OR
- You can just make the top, OR
- You can pick up the packet which is ready to sew at a guild meeting. Ask for batting at the meeting.
- No need to rush to make the quilt, take your time! The packets come with a finished top, panel or cut fabric and backing fabric. If the top looks too small to you, it will be appreciated if you add a border.
Before you bring the quilt:
- Check finished quilt for pins, threads, etc.
- Add a Huntington Quilters label on the back.
- Wash the quilts after they are completed (Hospitals require them to be delivered washed).
When you hand in the quilt:
- Please add your name to the list which is on the Pro Bono table.
- Get a ticket for a raffle pattern at the meeting.
THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATE IN PRO BONO!
Huntington Quilters Guild requires each member make at least ONE Pro-Bono quilt per year.
THERE IS NOTHING MORE REWARDING THAN TO GIVE TO THOSE IN NEED!
Thanks once again.
Linda R and Tricia M